Friday, August 24, 2012

Magnifico Meatball Pie

Good afternoon Friends.

It's been a few days since my last post. I believe I'm still recovering from the canning of last weekend, not to mention having a crazy, hectic work week.  So, I'm enjoying a well deserved 3 day weekend but thought I'd let everyone know how the Magnifico Meatball Pie experiment went.

AWESOME!!  This recipe, which was borrowed for BH&G 2010 Special Publication "Italian", was an absolute work of art.  The recipe included a recipe for homemade meatballs, which I am not ashamed to admit I've never made.  So I was excited to try out this recipe that called for chopped toasted pine nuts and finely chopped golden raisins in the actual meatballs.  The meatballs also included ground pork and mild Italian sausage.  My observation...though very flavorful..I prefer meatballs that are a combo of beef and pork.  I wasn't the biggest fan of the texture of the meatballs, though my son and husband disagreed.  They LOVED them :)

The pie, once fully assembled and baked, was as if spaghetti carbonara, spaghetti and meatballs and lasagna came together into one dish.   It was comfort at it's finest.  Though a lot of work I would defintely make this one again.  The second day leftovers were even better.



I'll post the recipe soon.  Until then hopefully some photos will do.  Until next time!

Here is the link to the recipe!

http://community.southernliving.com/archive/index.php/t-3406.html

1 comment: