Tuesday, November 27, 2012

It's Cookie Time!!

Yes!  The holiday season is here and the baking has commenced.  I bake TONS of cookies at this time of year.  Not just for the hubby and kids (though there are NO complaints by them).  We typically hand out cookie trays to friends and neighbors.  We also take trays to work gatherings and polucks.  People LOVE the cookies for the holiday.  Whether they keep them for themselves or share them with others..the trays are always happily received.

This post will be short and sweet (unlike the past few).  Today I'm going to share with all of you a very special recipe.  This isn't a borrowed recipe.  One swiped from a website or blog.  This recipe I created all on my own.  It took several trial runs to get this cookie and it epitomizes ALL that is Christmas to me.  As a child, I used to look forward to Christmas not just for the lights, decorations or presents.  I couldn't wait for the Archway holiday cookies.  My parents were not big on giving their children sweets (why would you intentionally hype up 4 children on sugar?).  However at Christmas my mom and dad made the occasional exception.  Archway cookies.  Soft and chewy iced gingerbread men.  Russian wedding cakes.  Pfefferneusse and cashew nougats.  All of which you can still purchase today.  My favorite Archway cookie, unfortunately, has been discontinued.  The Merry Mints.  They were round, pink little confections covered in minty powdered sugar and filled with little green and red mints.  Unfortunately due to the fact that they were discontinued years ago there was a gap that no other cookie could fill.  I know..a bit dramatic but truthful.  So, if the cookie you love is no longer in existence..and you happen to love to bake the only option is to recreate your fave cookie.  Which is what I did :)  Hence the Christmint Meltaway.




Christmint Meltaways

Ingredients:

1 ½ c butter, softened
¾ c confectioner’s sugar
½ tsp salt
2 tsp peppermint extract
3 c all purpose flour
2 c chopped soft peppermint candies
1/2 c finely chopped pecans
1 c confectioner’s sugar
1 c crushed candy canes (fine pink powder)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large mixer bowl cream butter, ¾ c confectioner’s sugar and salt.  Beat in peppermint extract.  Gradually beat in flour; stir in chopped candies and pecans.  Shape level teaspoons of dough into 1-inch balls.  Place on ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are set and lightly browned.

Remove from oven.  Combine 1 c confectioner’s sugar and crushed candy canes in a bowl.  Sift mixture over hot cookies on baking sheets.  Let stand for 10 minutes before moving to racks to cool completely.  Sprinkle with additional pink mixture if desired.  Store in airtight containers. 

Yields 40 cookies.
I promise that this is THE Christmas cookie that should be on any tray.  Speaking of trays.....I've included a couple of pics of trays and cookies baked over the past few holiday seasons.  Some of these cookies will be showcased during the next few weeks.  Come back soon!



3 comments:

  1. You are SO right about the gap left by the discontinuation of Archway Merry Mint cookies! I'll try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What exactly would you buy as a soft peppermint candy? The Merry Mints were my hubby's favorite and I want to make these for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also not sure what soft peppermint to use!! Could you let us know??

    ReplyDelete