Saturday, June 8, 2013

Greek Honey Nut Pie - Just a Slightly Different Spin on Baklava

I know what you're all thinking.  Two posts in one week?  Well, I felt that I owed my readers a little something extra for sticking with me through the time gaps.  So please consider this as a "thank you" to all of you!

As my readers know, I love to bake.  A lot!  However, there are only a few things in this world that I have zero self control over when it comes to consuming treats of any kind.  Red Starburst....Haribo gummy bears....lasagna....and BAKLAVA!!  Any of these things, I will eat to the point of having a tummy ache.  I can't help myself.  Well, this post will focus on a baklava..of sorts.

This recipe was found in a Taste of Home special edition magazine that was all about favorite pie recipes.  I tried out a few of the recipes within the magazine and by far my favorite was the Greek Honey Nut Pie submitted by Rosalind Jackson of Stuart, Florida.  It is all of those things you love about baklava.  Layer upon layer of butter and crispy phyllo dough.  Nutty filling and syrupy sweetness.  I'm talking toothache-inducing sweet.  I LOVED it.  This pie is also as beautiful as it is yummy.  Now don't let the appearance of this pie intimidate you.  This is a fairly simple pie to assemble with big results. 

Below is the recipe and a few pics of my take on this scrumptious pie.





Greek Honey Nut Pie
Ingredients:

4 c chopped walnuts
¼ c packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 c butter, melted
1 pkg (16 oz, 14 in x 9 in sheet size) frozen phyllo dough, thawed

Syrup:

¾ c sugar
½ c water
½ c honey
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a large bowl, combine the walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside.  Brush a 9 inch pie plate with some of the butter; set aside.

Unroll phyllo dough; keep covered with a plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.  Layer eight sheets of phyllo in prepared pan, brushing each layer with butter and rotating sheets to cover the pie plate.  Let edges of dough hang over sides.  Sprinkle a third of the nut mixture onto the bottom.

Layer four sheets of phyllo over nut mixture in the same manner; sprinkle with a third of the nut mixture.  Repeat these last two steps.  Top with an additional eight sheets of phyllo, again brushing with butter and rotating sheets.  Fold ends of phyllo up over top of  pie; brush with butter.

Using a sharp knife, cut into eight wedges.  Cut 1-2 additional sheets of phyllo into thin strips; arrange decoratively on top.  (Save remaining phyllo for another use).  Bake pie  for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the sugar, water and honey; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.  Add vanilla.  Pour over warm pie.  Cool on a wire rack before cutting into wedges.  Refrigerate leftovers.

 
Just a few tips while making this delightful pie.  Phyllo dough can be temperamental.  It's very important to keep the phyllo damp while using it.  Do not skip the step of keeping it covered with a damp towel as the phyllo will become dry and brittle.  Also, I used walnuts for this recipe.  If you'd like, swapping out that nut with another type, that would be fine.  I'm interested in trying pistachios next time. 

Thanks everyone!  My next post will be all about festive pies.  Lemon Coconut Cream and Peanut Butter Chocolate Cream.  Stay tuned to Katie's Adventures in the Kitchen!

3 comments:

  1. That looks so stunning!! I'll surely stop by again and check out your festive pies as well.

    Greetings from India!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pie looks beautiful! Putting the flavors of baklava in pie sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you for such lovely comments! Enjoy this recipe and please continue to come back for more.

    ReplyDelete