Friday, June 28, 2013

Yes I CAN Do Healthy As Well - Mahi Mahi, Quinoa and Gluten-Free Cupcakes

Hi Friends.  Many of my friends and readers have requested some more "healthful" recipes and options.  While I tend to believe in going big with butter and sugar (all in moderation), I also like flavorful and healthy options.  Especially when it comes to mealtimes.  

A few weeks ago, I was doing a little online recipe research and came upon several fish recipes.  I love light fish-centric dishes at this time of year.  Many times, those dishes are cooked by my husband, outside and on the grill.  However, I decided to combine some of my favorite flavors and make the fish in the oven/broiler.  We happened to have mahi mahi and cod filets (3 of each) so I decided to use both when preparing this recipe (they are both are meaty fish and cook for relatively the same amount of time at the same temp).  

I wanted to keep this recipe "light" but still make a big impact with flavor.  I decided to "bread" the fish with a  tad of olive oil, grated parmigiano reggiano, paprika, salt and pepper.  It was out of this world.  The fish was flaky and tender with just the right kick of spice from the parm and pap.  

I also wanted to make a healthy side dish to accompany the fish.  On hand I had quinoa, chicken stock and the remainder of the parm cheese.  I followed directions on the quinoa box, replacing water with chicken stock (low sodium).  Once the quinoa was fully cooked (quinoa will "pop" open revealing the germ of the kernel), I added parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, fresh lemon thyme and a squirt or two of fresh lemon juice.  Voila!  Very easily one of the best side dishes I have ever created.  For those that are unaware, quinoa is a "super food".  It is packed with protein (though NOT carb free) and gluten free.  

As always, I've included the recipes and photos of this yummy pairing below:




Parmesan and Paprika Crusted Fish

Ingredients:


4 fish filets (mahi mahi or cod)
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp paprika
Juice of a lemon
½ c of grated fresh parmesan cheese
2 tsp dried parsley
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of white pepper


Directions:


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Wrap cookie sheet with tin foil and lightly spray with Pam.  Set aside.


Place paprika, parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper in a bowl; mix well and set aside. 

Place olive oil and lemon juice onto a plate, mix well and set aside.


Take each filet and place in the oil and lemon mixture; making sure you cover both sides of filet before placing in parmesan/paprika mixture.  Once again make sure you coat all parts of the filet.  Repeat the process with each filet placing them on the prepared cookie sheet.

Place plan in the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes or until fish is opaque.  Serve hot.


 
Parmesan Quinoa

Ingredients:

12 oz box of quinoa
2.5 c chicken stock
½ c freshly grated parmesan cheese
½ tsp fresh lemon thyme
½ tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp fresh black pepper

Directions:

In a medium saucepan combine the quinoa with the chicken stock, bring to boil and then reduce to simmer.  Cover with lid and cook until liquid has been absorbed (10-15 minutes). 
Add remaining ingredients to the quinoa and stir.  Serve immediately.



Of course I couldn't conclude a blog post without including a dessert!  My husband recently surprised me with a few new cookbooks, one containing all gluten-free dessert recipes.  A family member was recently diagnosed with a gluten intolerance and I'm very interested in being able to make her desserts that fit within her dietary restrictions, while still being yummy.  So, keeping things gluten-free, I decided what better time to start experimenting with gluten-free desserts.  The first recipe I decided to attempt was a banana maple cupcake with whipped maple cream cheese buttercream frosting.  

First off,  I had to find and purchase gluten-free, all-purpose, self-rising flour.  Luckily my local grocery store has a great health food section.  All other ingredients were already within my pantry (F.Y.I - Clabber Girl baking powder and Arm & Hammer baking soda are both gluten-free).  Nifty to know this little fact as I had my husband searching the aisles for "gluten-free" baking powder and soda.  Most products nowadays will list that they are gluten-free.  If not, searching the Internet helps tremendously.  

I must tell you, these cupcakes were AHHHHHH-mazing.  You would NEVER had guessed that they were gluten-free.  They had an amazing texture (due to the glycerin I'm sure), and did not seem to lose any of the lightness of a cupcake.  I will say that they were a bit more like a cupcake crossed with banana bread.  Much like carrot cake, banana cake can be a bit more dense.  Not heavy...just a bit more dense and moist.  Important note as well, once baked and frosted, keep cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator.  Due to the lack of gluten, gluten-free baked desserts tend to dry out more quickly.  I did not have that problem because the cupcakes were consumed QUICKLY.  I topped the cupcakes with my whipped cream cheese buttercream and it was a perfect pairing.  I did add approximately a 1/4 cup of great quality maple syrup to the frosting.  Your thought may be that the frosting will be too sweet.  Trust me, it WON'T be.  The maple is very subtle and balances the cream cheese flavor.


I was excited by how well this recipe turned out.  I cannot wait to try more gluten-free baked good recipes.  Next up, a chocolate fudge cupcake.  Of course I'll share how that one turns out.  Here is a pic of cupcakes as well as the recipe and a link to my previous blog post that included the whipped cream cheese buttercream.


Gluten-Free Banana Cupcakes


Ingredients:

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
¾ c light brown sugar, packed
2 eggs, room temperature
½ c light cream
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp glycerin (make sure it is for baking)
1 ¾ c gluten-free self-rising flour, sifted
½ tsp gluten free baking soda
2 c mashed bananas

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line a 12 cup muffin pan w/cupcake liners.

In the bowl of a mixer (with a paddle attachment) combine butter and brown sugar until fluffy.  Add the eggs and then slowly mix in the cream, maple syrup, glycerin, sifted flour and baking soda.  Fold in the mashed bananas.

Divide the cupcakes among the cupcake liners (filling each 2/3 full).  Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until well risen and golden.

Allow to cool in the pan, on a wire rack for 10 minutes.  Remove cupcakes from pan and allow to fully cool on rack before frosting.

Makes 12.



Link to the whipped cream cheese buttercream.


http://katiesadventuresinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2013/06/cupcakes-galore.html

Well, that's it for this time around.  I must say that these recipes definitely inspired me.  I love the idea of EVERYONE enjoying their meals..and desserts, regardless of dietary restrictions.  In this day and age, with the knowledge we all have at our fingertips, there is no reason that food cannot taste fantastic all of the time.    Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment